05 January 2012

2012 Word of The Year

Simon Christen | Eloquent Pixels
When I started this blog, my goal was to hold myself accountable to the life I wanted to lead.  It was to be a record of that journey as well as a platform to share what's important to me with others.  To say it out loud; so to speak.  Last month I started pondering if a shift in my writing had taken place.  I typically sit down in December and go over the last year.  Not so much to see if I failed at my resolutions, but rather to tally up what I did and did not do.  My writing seemed to go through cycles.  Part me, part what I thought you wanted to hear.  Truthfully, I spent too much time worrying about what others were doing and occasionally got caught up in "I must follow." 

This time of year there is so much pressure to write something profound versus prosaic.  Words that lead you to believe that the author has some how got it all figured out.  Worksheets, grandiose goals, and mantras have polluted the blogosphere and I somehow feel like I have to keep up. 

Frankly, I don't have it all figured out.  Not sure if I ever will, but I do know that I want this blog to continue being the space that holds me liable for my best life.  I want it to inspire, be adventurous, and knowledgeable.

All that being said, I do have a word for 2012 because, despite what the bandwagon does or doesn't do, I believe that having one word that you can say and post on sticky notes around your house can remind you of all the poetic things you want to do this year.  It should be based on where you are in your life, which is determined after en evaluation of your needs, your wants, and what is actually doable.  Throw in a little of something that scares you and you're bound to be successful. 

My word for 2012 is ACTION.  After my yearly assessment I realized that I'm a great dreamer and an even better planner, but that's about as far as it goes.  When it comes to actually making something happen, I often times fall short, especially in regard to my dreams.  This is a year for movement.  To not only put on paper what I want out of this year, but to actually start putting my feet to the pavement and making it happen. 

Here's to seeing ACTION this year. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.