03 May 2012

May Day



May 1st was a holiday I celebrated as a kid growing up in Nebraska.  My mom kept the tradition after celebrating May Day every year in her one room country schoolhouse.  My favorite part of the day was passing out the baskets I had made to my unsuspecting friends.  Some years they were just dixie cups filled with goodies, and other years the baskets were a little more creative.  It didn't matter as long as it brought a smile.  Here is a little history on the day.  


History of May Day 

May Day has been a traditional day of festivities throughout the centuries. May Day is most associated with towns and villages celebrating springtime fertility and revelry with community gatherings. Seeding was usually completed by this date and it was convenient to give farm laborers a day off.

May baskets were typically made as part of the festivities. These are small baskets filled with flowers or treats that are left on someone's doorstep. The giver would ring the bell and run away. The person receiving the basket would try to catch the fleeing giver. If they caught the person, a kiss was to be exchanged.

When I got into high school I no longer celebrated the tradition. This year I decided to bring it back and make a few baskets for the little people in my neighborhood. I used what I had on hand to make them and filled them with goodies and other little trinkets.


I used scrap fabric, fruit baskets, an old t-shirt, a plastic food container that I glued tissue paper on to, and paper scraps.  The handles were leftover ribbon from various projects.  The only thing I purchased were the contents of the baskets.   




I drove around our neighborhood on my bike and left the baskets on the doorstep.  I didn't get caught, so no kisses for me, but I got lots of hugs later on.  I think I'll keep this tradition alive.  It brought me joy just to make them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.